A Summer Full of Music in Vail
Vail has become a live music destination, and summer is where this reputation for incredible concerts really shines. The gorgeous setting and temperate weather make for a perfect setting to enjoy a wide array of musical styles – from bluegrass to classical, rock to reggae, pops to chamber music, the hills are alive with the sound of music each summer in Vail.
Here’s a sampling of what’s in store:
Free concerts are a highlight of Vail’s summer season, with kids, adults, dogs, locals, and visitors converging to soak up the sounds in the fresh, Rocky Mountain air.
The GoPro Mountain Games (June 4 – 7) kick things off with a great lineup, right in the center of Vail Village, Checkpoint Charlie:
- Thursday, June 4: DJ Dojah and Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe // Run DMC Remixed
- Friday, June 5: Natty Vibes and Iration
- Saturday, June 6 The Silent Comedy and G. Love & Special Sauce
Tuesday nights, June 9 – August 18, are Crazy Mountain Brewery’s Hot Summer Nights Concert Series. Pack a picnic and head to the Ford Amphitheater for a great lineup that is bound to get you on your feet. With kids dancing barefoot in the grass in the lawn seating to the drink specials from this locally-based brewery, this is one of Vail Valley locals’ favorite summer traditions.
- Tuesday, June 9: Pimps of Joytime
- Tuesday, June 23: Brett Dennen
- Tuesday, June 30: The Revivalists
- Tuesday, July 7: Nahko and Medicine for the People
- Tuesday, July 14: Zach Deputy
- Tuesday, August 11: Super Diamond – The Neil Diamond Tribute
- Tuesday, August 18: Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Bluegrass music in the heart of Lionshead: the Vail Summer Bluegrass Series brings national level bluegrass talent as well as local/regional acts to Vail Square at the Arrabelle Hotel in Lionshead Village. Come enjoy the music for free, or purchase tickets to the preferred seating area.
- Wednesday, July 1: Hot Buttered Rum
- Wednesday, July 15: Oteil & Roosevelt
- Wednesday, July 29: Steep Canyon Rangers
- Wednesday, August 12: Grant Farm & Dead Winter Carpenters
WORLD-CLASS MUSIC FESTIVALS
Did you know that the New York Philharmonic, The Philadelphia Orchestra, and the Dallas Symphony Orchestra each take up residence in Vail during the summer? The Bravo! Vail music festival has been hailed as one of the Top 10 “Can’t Miss” Classical Musical Festivals in the US by NPR. Their orchestra concerts feature the great classics, plus jazz and pops. Besides the larger performances at Ford Amphitheater is an eclectic chamber music series featuring artists from the professional orchestras as well as up-and-coming musicians in Bravo’s Young Professionals-in-Residence Program.
- Orchestra Concerts: July 1-31
- Chamber Music Series: Tuesdays in July
- Classically Uncorked presented by Pine Ridge Vineyards: August 4-6
Now in its 21st year, the Vail Jazz Festival is a 12-week program that brings the best talent in the jazz world to Vail. With over 40 performances and 150 artists in intimate venues, you’ll get the chance to rub shoulders with jazz greats who specialize in swing, salsa, blues, Latin, bebop, the American Songbook, and more!
The Festival consists of five distinctive series that run from June – September: