Vail just keeps on improving
Photo of helicopter work to upgrade Avanti Express Lift (#2) this summer, the latest in a long series of investments at Vail.
Vail is known for being one of the greatest ski experiences in the world, and we aim to keep it that way. Every year we invest in improving our facilities and lifts as well as drawing world-class events to Vail – all to ensure an experience like nothing on earth.
Vail – A Commitment To Excellence
Vail’s commitment to excellence can be traced back to the vision of co-founders Pete Seibert and Earl Eaton when the mountain opened in 1962. Over the years, Vail has invested in expanding its terrain, building beautiful on-mountain facilities, as well as fostering and encouraging the growth of a vibrant shops, restaurants and lodging in Vail Village, Golden Peak and Lionshead.
You can see that continuance of that mission in the last decade:
- 2007: Two new high-speed quad chairlifts open on the eastern side of the mountain: the Highline Express Lift (#10) and the Sourdough Express Lift (#14).
- 2008: The Arrabelle at Vail Square, a RockResort, opens in January alongside a reinvigorated base area complete with shops, dining and other public amenities. Vail’s Front Door Project also comes to fruition with the luxury Lodge at Vail Chalets, the RockResorts Spa at the Lodge at Vail, the Vail Mountain Club and new skier service facilities, quick-service dining and a day lodge at Mountain Plaza.
The Arrabelle at Vail Square
- 2009: Enhanced and more efficient snowmaking capabilities are implemented in Golden Peak, making it prime early-season training ground for the world’s best athletes, including Vail’s own Lindsey Vonn.
- 2010: Upgrades to existing buildings and amenities in town and the debut of new luxury properties including the Solaris Residences and Plaza, The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Vail, Four Seasons Vail, and The Sebastian-Vail. The high-speed High Noon Express Lift (#5) debuted for the 2010-2011 season, greatly improving capacity out of Vail’s legendary Sun Down and Sun Up bowls.
Solaris Plaza in Vail Village
- 2011: Vail’s newest on-mountain dining experience, The 10th, opens its doors, satisfying an overwhelming appetite for an upscale, table-service dining venue and adding another brilliant option to Vail’s already-impressive culinary lineup on the mountain and in town with names like Game Creek, Kelly Liken, Sweet Basil, Larkspur and newcomers Elway’s and Matsuhisa.
- 2012: Vail’s 50th anniversary season kicks off with the debut of the state-of-the-art Gondola One – the first and fastest of its kind in North America – featuring heated cushioned seats, Wi-Fi, and a cozy 7.5 minute ride from the base of Vail Village to Mid-Vail, as well as the debut of the Burton US Open Snowboarding Championships at Vail, which included the introduction of an Olympic standard 22-foot half pipe in Golden Peak.
- 2013: Vail replaces Mountain Top Express Lift (#4) with a new high-speed six-passenger chairlift and the Gopher Hill Lift (#12) in Golden Peak with the former Rose Bowl lift (#4) from Beaver Creek.
- 2014: Vail adds summer activities to Adventure Ridge in the lead up to Epic Discovery, due to premier in the summer of 2016. 2 adult ropes courses, a kids size ropes course, an adult zipline with 4 lines as well as a kiddie-size version bolster the summer offerings. The adult winter zipline is also offered in winter.
- 2015: Avanti Express Lift (#2) upgraded from a 4-passenger lift to a 6-passenger lift. Adventure Ridge adds a summer tubing experience.
- 2016: the summer Epic Discovery experience launches, incorporating extensive environmental and interpretive programming that offers guests a unique opportunity to try new outdoor activities, challenge themselves physically, discover an appreciation for nature and create lasting family memories. Summer 2016 additions include a Forest Flyer down the front side of the mountain, a Game Creek Zip Line Tour, as well as Learn-through-Play Elements that will integrate with the trails and activities around the mountain and an Expanded Hiking and Biking Trail System.